File Extension DAT
(TIP!) Click here to run a Free Scan for easy-to-fix errors that may prevent DAT files from opening on your PC!
DAT File Extension Description
DAT file extensions are associated with data type files. DAT files contain important sets of data that can be created, viewed and edited only by the specific application that created it.
If you would just like to view the contents of a DAT file, please note that some are text-based and can be viewed by a common text editor such as Notepad or WordPad.
Supported applications are numerous and include the following:
- Data file type applications that support DAT file extensions include Firefox 3, Safari, MS Office, Bitdefender Antivirus 2010, Dataflex, Labview, Wordperfect Office Standard.
- Internet Explorer stores temporary files in the .DAT format
- Microsoft Exchange Server supports .DAT extensions in the document file type category.
- Video file programs that support DAT extensions include Need4 Video Converter, PowerDVD 9 and Stonevoice Translator.
- Yahoo Messenger uses .DAT files in their settings configuration.
- For graphics DAT files can be viewed with XNView while Clarion supports DAT database files.
- DAT Disk Image files are created with Nero Backitup and Burn.
- Games that use DAT files include Chuzzle and Dragon Unpacker and Painkiller Overdose.
- Norton System Works uses .DAT backup files and Against Rome uses an archival file type for the .DAT file extension.
- The last category that uses the DAT file format is System file types. DAQARTA is the supported application.
If .DAT files wont open on your computer then follow these steps:
STEP ONE - make sure you have one of the programs above installed.
If you do and .DAT files still wont open then proceed to step two below.
STEP TWO - make sure Windows is set to open .DAT files with the appropriate program. The easiest way to do this is to download Filecure and then select the manage tab on the left. This feature is available free in the Filecure application.
STEP THREE - If the problem persists then download Filecure if you haven't already, and Click the big green "Start Scan" Button. It takes about 30 seconds to scan your computer for all file extension associations. Once the scan is finished you will see if any problems are detected. If so then Click the Green "Fix Now" Button.
STEP FOUR - Try to open your .DAT File again, The problem should be fixed.
(If you still have issues with this file, please click the Ask a Question button at the top right corner of this page)
- Common Path:
- Associated Applications:
dozens of applications support DAT files
Additional DAT File Info:
Firefox 3, Safari, MS Office, Bitdefender & others, DAT File Created by: various
Files that wont open may be caused by out-dated device drivers. Get latest Driver Updates for your PC.
Scans your PC for errors that lead to file extensions not being recognized by your system.
FileCure safely repairs associations and system errors so you can open, view or edit your DAT file.
*(Includes all 32 Bit and 64 Bit versions)