How to Keep Your PC More Secure
While every computer user understands the importance of keeping his or her PC secure, many people are simply unsure about the best ways to keep the bad guys out of their systems.
Fortunately there are some simple steps computer users can take to keep their PCs safe from harm. If you want to stay safe while online you should:
- 1) Always make sure your virus scanning software is up and running, and up to date. Be sure to check the system tray icon to make sure that your virus scanner is running. It is also a good idea to review your virus scanning logs at least once per week.
- 2) Install anti-spyware and anti-adware software and keep it up to date. Spyware and adware can be used to track your movements on the internet and even install malicious programs on your PC.
- 3) Never click on links in emails from unknown sources. If you receive a suspect email just delete it. Even if the email appears to be legitimate it is a good idea to avoid clicking any links. Instead type the web address directly into your browser.
- 4) Do not download programs from suspect sources. These programs can have embedded code that can damage your PC or even record all your keystrokes to steal your passwords.
- 5) Make your passwords complicated and difficult to guess. Do not use the names of your children, your pets or other easily obtainable information. And try to use a combination of capital letters, lower case letters and special characters in your passwords. This will help foil many password guessing programs.