I have an HP IPAQ Palm Reader that I am trying to connect to the Internet. The problem is I don't have all the relevant information including the ISP number to set up modem connection. Any information you could give me would be appreciated.
The HP IPAQ Palm Reader is a terrific device that lets you connect to the Internet in order to access emails, browse the web, send texts, and use instant messaging services just to mention a few of the many functions it provides for its users. Setting up your modem connection is a bit of a conundrum the first time that you need to go through it. After all, it isn't something that you do every day, so you can't be expected to know exactly what to do without first finding out. Since you haven't given me your model number, I've provided the steps for two common procedures that you might need to take below.
Setting up Modem Connection
Follow these simple directions in order to set up your IPAQ's modem connection:
- In order to obtain your ISP number, all you need to do is contact your Internet Service Provider and tell the representative what you need it for. She will give you the correct number to use. Do this before you take any other steps.
- Make sure that you have the appropriate modem card by checking the documentation for your IPAQ.
- Insert the card into the proper slot on the IPAQ.
- Access the "Today" screen and select "Start."
- Using your stylus, select "Settings."
- Select "Connections." This step brings up the option that you need in order to connect to the Internet.
- Access the drop down menu in order to select "Internet Connections."
- Using the stylus, select the "Modify" button. Drag down and select "New." Please note that this option might include other words such as add or create, depending on your model of IPAQ.
- At this point, you get to name the connection. Next, select the type of modem that you are using. Plus, you must also enter the transfer rate for the modem.
- Enter the number for your Internet Service Provider and select "Next."
- Personalize your settings for the number of rings that you prefer to occur before allowing the modem to hang up along with any other options that you want to use.
- Select "Finish" in order to save the settings for your modem connection.
Setting up Modem Connection: GSM/GPRS
Many of the newer models of Palm Readers use GSM/GPRS capability. You will need to use this set of directions if this is the case.
- Make sure you check the documentation for your IPAQ and obtain the appropriate modem card. Insert the card into the proper slot on your IPAQ.
- Access the "Today" screen and select the "wireless icon" in the lower right-hand side of the screen.
- Select the option for "Settings" which should appear next to the phone/Bluetooth icon.
- The GSM/GPRS data should appear. Now, select your "Country" as well as your "Service Provider" from the drop down menu list that is available.
- Select "OK."
- Your system should begin and complete an updating process. Once it takes you back to the Phone/Bluetooth settings, select "OK."
- You should now be back at the "Today" screen. Select "Start" and "Internet Explorer" in order to see if you have connected properly.