It would be easier to diagnose the problem if the exact scenario were known. Are you having problems downloading everything or just certain types of files? Is the issue related to one specific website or to each website that you attempt to download from? I'll provide a few suggestions that you can use to try and resolve the issue.
Common Scenarios that Create Problems Downloading Files
Several different issues can be at fault when downloading becomes difficult. If you have recently updated your operating system or browser or if someone else uses your computer, any one of the following issues could be the problem. Additionally, if you are only having difficulty downloading from a particular website, the issue might not have arisen prior to this. Read through and follow the tips:
- Disable pop up blockers. The browser settings might need to allow pop ups in order to download from certain websites.
- Set the browser to allow cookies.
- Disable your anti-virus/anti-spyware application temporarily and try to complete the download. Make sure that you enable the application once you are finished attempting the download.
- Add the website to your list of trusted sites in your browser.
- Enable notifications for downloads in the browser.
- If you are using Internet Explorer as your browser, you might need to adjust the security settings as follows: Navigate to "Tools," select "Internet Options," select "Custom level" under "Security," Navigate to "Download" and enable "File download" and "Automatic Prompting." Click "ok."
- Update all drivers for your system this includes the operating system and your Web browser.
Contact Customer Service
If the downloading problem is related to a specific website, contact their customer service department or look through their list of FAQs.
Clean the Registry
One of the first steps to take when one of your programs isn't working is to clean the registry. It is possible that one or more of the files in the registry have become corrupted. Since the registry keeps tabs on all of your programs including the downloader, it is critical that the registry is kept in good shape. I recommend getting a reliable registry cleaner such as RegCure and using it whenever your computer starts to have problems such as the one that you are experiencing now.
Check for Spyware and Viruses
The presence of spyware or a virus can upset the functioning of the computer. If you have an anti-virus/anti-spyware application, try using it now. If you don't have one, I can recommend getting a reliable one such as Anti-Virus PLUS. Read the review and see if this is something that could be useful to you. Of course, since spyware and viruses are mutated in an effort to slip by anti-virus/anti-spyware applications, you need to stay current with your updates on this type of application. If you already have one, check for updates before running it on your computer.