How to Set HP DV6000 to Factory Settings Using the Recovery Manager
As long as the computer starts up properly, the Recovery Manager can be used to restore the factory settings. Follow these directions to do so:
1) Select "Start."
2) Select "All Programs."
3) Select "Recovery Manager" and select "Recovery Manager" again.
4) Once the dialog box for the Recovery Manager opens, select "Advanced Options."
5) Select "System Recovery" and click "Next." At his point, the computer will restart.
6) Once the computer restarts, you need to select "System Recovery" and click on "Next."
7) Click "no" if you are asked to use "Microsoft System Restore."
8) Click "Next."
9) At the prompt, select "Back up your files."
10) Click "Next."
11) Follow the prompts.
12) At the prompt "Recover without backing up your files," you will select "Next" if you wish to restore the computer to the factory settings.
How to Set HP DV6000 to Factory Settings with Windows Vista
The process to restore factory settings on the HP Dv6000 is extremely simple if you have Windows Vista. Follow these directions:
- Turn the power to the computer on.
- Immediately hit the "F11" key on the keyboard when the first screen appears. The screen should have the HP symbol on it when you do this.
- Read the instructions that appear on the screen.
- Select the option to "Restore Factory Settings."
HP Recovery Disks
One thing to keep in mind whenever the need arises to purchase a new computer is that HP does not provide recovery disks with any of their newer computers. This is solely because the computer owner is given the opportunity to create his own recovery disks when he initially sets up his computer. Therefore, I do recommend creating recovery disks for those rare occasions when they might come in handy. These disks would also allow you to restore factory settings.
After Restoring to Factory Settings
Remember that you will have to install drivers, software applications, games, files, updates, data, and custom settings that you previously had on the computer. All of these are lost when you restore to factory settings.